October is almost over. The temperatures are dropping every day and we need serious layers to keep us warm. As tempting as it is to throw on an oversized jacket and call it day, we have something better for you – fall layering done right. So not any kind of layering – the stylish kind. In other words, fall layering with style.
Sounds promising, right? It is! Stay with us to learn how to layer for fall, polish your layering skills, and enjoy your chic and warm fall outfits.
Steps And Tips For A Perfect Fall Layered Look
The best part of layering for fall is that you can use so many different clothing articles from your wardrobe: summer essentials, winter clothes, and everything in between. And don’t worry, you won’t look bigger if you dress for your body type! A perfectly layered look should make you look amazing. In fact, it should accentuate your assets and hide the imperfection you want to keep away from the world.
Layering doesn’t have to be complicated. If you follow the 5 simple steps for layering we highlighted below, you should be able to put together a layered outfit in less than 5 minutes.
5 Steps to a Perfectly Layered Outfit
- Start with a basic top or button-down shirt. Opt for neutral colors or a striped top.
- Start to add layers. You can add a sweater, a cardigan or a blazer on top. If you love color, now it’s time to add it to the mix.
- If it’s really cold outside, put a jacket or coat over your second layer. If you chose a colorful second layer, go back to neutral colors for the jacket or coat. You can opt for the classic black or for an autumnal color. Think olive green, camel or maroon. On the other hand, if the rest of your outfit is neutral, you can wear a statement jacket or coat for a much-needed pop of color. You can opt for autumnal colors here as well. Instead of muted colors, opt for bright colors such as yellow, orange or purple.
- Add a scarf! No fall outfit is complete without a scarf! It is the cherry on top of your outfit cake.
- Last step – accessories. Choose your favorite accessories, make sure they match your outfit, and you’re ready to go.
See? It’s so easy!
Quick Layering Tips
We have to add a few fall layering tips to make sure your fall outfit is always on point. Then we’re moving to layering ideas!
- Always keep the under-layers fitted for a slim look.
- Add a belt to accentuate the waistline. You can wear the belt over the second layer or underneath it. Both ways work and they create two different but equally stylish outfits.
- Pay attention to proportions and lengths. Typically, you want short layers underneath and long layers on top. However, a long cardigan with a short leather jacket looks amazing so try different options until you like what you see in the mirror.
- Combine different textures. When styling a layered look, it’s important to incorporate different fabrics in your outfit. Wearing the same materials will make your outfit look dull and boring. Or worse, bulky and heavy.
7 Fall Layering Ideas
Now that you know the basics, it’s time for an adventurous and fun game of Tetris! Because when done right, fall layering is just as satisfying and fun as Tetris. You know how it is in Tetris – not all pieces fit together and, when you’re rushed, you end up making mistakes that you wouldn’t normally make. Same thing goes for layering clothing articles. Therefore, to keep you safe from faux-pas, we have some tried and tested ideas that never disappoint. When in doubt, try these instead of trying to put together an outfit from scratch or instead of the wearing classic turtleneck-sweater- blazer combo.
Wear a Cardigan Under a Jacket – An Option That’s More Versatile Than You Think
You already know this one but we had to mention it again since you can create different looks by layering a cardigan and a jacket. You can have a casual chic look if you pair the cardigan and jacket with jeans and boots or a more elegant, lady-like one if you pair them with a midi dress or midi skirt and a button-down shirt.
You can wear both looks with heels or flats. For extra chic points, add a blanket scarf or a beret.
Wear Two Sweaters For Extra Warmth
Sounds comfy, cozy, and warm but the real question is… will it make me look bigger? Not necessarily! If you choose different types of knits, you should be ok. A thin knit for the first layer and a chunky one for the second layer. It’s a great trick for adding texture.
Don’t forget about colors and patterns! The more, the merrier.
Button-Down Shirt + V-Neckline Sweater – A classic Layering Option For Fall
Nothing beats a classic! After all, we don’t call it a classic for no reason. You can count on it anytime you’re out of ideas and you’ll look classy and chic. For the best fall look, go for a burgundy or olive-green sweater.
Want to try something slightly different? Replace the V-neck sweater with a boat-neck one. Alternatively, replace the button-down shirt with a turtleneck.
For even more variation, consider styling a dress over a button-down dress. This way, you can wear your summer dresses during autumn without being cold.
Summer Dresses + Sweaters = Fall Perfection In An Outfit
Since we mentioned summer dresses earlier, we have to give you a few more options. You can wear them with boots and a leather jacket for a rock-chic-feminine look or with blazers for a casual office look. However, there are many other options to explore.
You can pair your minis with over-the-knee boots and jackets if you’re not afraid to stand out in a crowd. You can wear your spaghetti strips maxi dress over sweaters for a 90s style look a la Phoebe Buffay.
Wear the sweaters on top of the maxis with a belt for a completely different vibe. The chunkier the sweater, the better since the different textures create a beautiful contrast.
Remember to always wear thick tights or leggings if it’s cold. By the way, tights are a great way to add color to an outfit. If you’re courageous, you can wear bright colored tights with sandals, a midi dress, and a stylish coat.
Bows, Ruffles, And Other Delicate Designs With Denim Jackets
The point of fall layering is to make you look stylish while keeping you warm so why not pair your feminine tops and dresses with denim? If it’s distressed denim, the look will be even better.
As for shoes, you can easily go for stilettos or sneakers. Both work great. Granted, you get two completely different looks depending on the shoe you choose. That can only mean more outfit options for fall – one for everyday wear and another one for the weekend.
Wear A Turtleneck Under A Dress For A Basic But Nice Fall Outfit
You can’t go wrong with turtlenecks during fall if you try new ways to style them. The boring turtleneck + blazer combo is overdone so try something else. If you wear the turtleneck under a dress and a leather jacket on top, you have a lovely fall outfit. You can replace the jacket with a vest for a different effect.
Scarves And Other Fall Must-Have Accessories For Layering
Ok, you got it; scarves shouldn’t miss from your fall
wardrobe. Nevertheless, we couldn’t stress enough how important they are! They
can turn a basic, neutral outfit into a fashionista outfit in less than 5
seconds. For that, you need a bold and big scarf that can add color, texture,
and dimension to your outfit. Wear it over your shoulders like a shawl and tie
it with a belt around the waist to create a wonderful silhouette.
Over the knee boots, ankle boots, biker boots, stilettos, court shoes, platform boots are all great options for fall. Alternate between them how you want.